Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Do stylists at discount salons (like smartstyle or fantastic sam's) make a living wage?

I read that salary studies do not always consider what the stylists are these salons are making. I am planning on going to cosmetology school and would like to work in a high end salon but just in case that does not work out I want to know if I will be able to live on the pay. I am not looking to become rich cutting hair but I would like to start a family in a few years without having to struggle to pay every bill.





I am about to graduate with a bachelor degree but I really hate the field it is in and want a job I enjoy going to.Do stylists at discount salons (like smartstyle or fantastic sam's) make a living wage?
I have worked in both types of Salons. I was making a lot of money at the high end one, until the economy started to get bad. I made 1/3 less gross pay from one year to the next due to the economy. So I went to work at a Fantastic Sams, and I was really busy there, so I ended up making really good money there. Since you make commission in most Salons, you have to be busy to make money. Even if the prices are lower, if you are busy you are going to make more. Good Luck! I love doing hair. I have a family now, and it works great with our schedule for me to be a stylist.

No comments:

Post a Comment