Saturday, January 23, 2010

I have been a hair stylist for 8 years, and just started a CNA class, and got an offer to manage a salon?? ?

After 8 years and a tough time getting a job in the last year, I started a 6 week CNA class. I recieved a job offer as a salon manager just a week ago, from a resume online from March. I am confused and torn as to what I want to do and what holds a better future for me. I am 30 and have three kids at home. Not sure what difference that makes but its just backround. I do love doing hair and the industry and I seem to like CNA so far. Any advice would be greatly appreciatedI have been a hair stylist for 8 years, and just started a CNA class, and got an offer to manage a salon?? ?
The management job would pay off a lot more, unless you decide to further your nursing career......CNA career isn't something that I would choose for the rest of my life. I have been a hair stylist for 8 years, and just started a CNA class, and got an offer to manage a salon?? ?
I've been going to beauty salons for 55 years. I can guarantee you that beauticians earn a lot more money than someone who is a CNA. I live in Atlanta and pay $35 to a woman who spends 30 minutes doing my hair. That's $70 an hour. That's twice what my husband, a college graduate, earns, and he's overe 70 years old. Think about it.
CNAs do the absolute worst of the worst jobs at hospitals %26amp; nursing homes. its probably not something that youd want to do forever. you can still get the certification, but id manage the salon. CNAs dont make a lot of money but they usually get good benefits. but a management position should get you full benefits too. it depends on wheather youd like to take orders or be in charge. the nurses can be really big B****ES to you too.


ive been urinated on, pooped on, bled on, bit, pinched, %26amp; called names. ive been exposed to contagious diseases, blamed by families for hospital policies %26amp; had an ostomy bag shaken into my face.


but ive also made a sick person smile, brightened someones day, listened to great stories %26amp; forged friendships.


you need to be prepared to be saddened when you see suffering %26amp; when you walk in %26amp; see your favorite resident or patient not sitting where they always sit, because theyve passed on.


its great %26amp; its so hard.


you really dont make too much money, but sometimes you feel a special feeling because of the work that youre doing %26amp; thats even better, until you need a new purse or cute shoes or something.


an area where there can be better money is in home care or hospice. if you have the kind of personality that can handle hospice, that might be worth it. but i dont know anything about working in a salon.


hopefully that gives you some insight.
I was (and am ) in the very prediciment as you. You say you are 30 with 3 kids. I'm only going to assume they are still somewhat young. If you are a manager of a salon, you will need to be on-call, so to speak, all hours the salon is open. I was in management at my old salon and I actually left the job because it took so much time away from my family that any extra ';bonus'; I got, wasn't even worth it in the end.


BUT my job was to be a stylist AND manager. I couldn't just do one. I was worn out. YOu need to decided what your priorities are in your life right now and then go with which job feels right for you.





~~


After reading the other post, I want to remind you that many salons, especially in this economy don't offer benefits or are really bad ones at that. Make sure if you go into management that they pay you a salary and you are not on commission. If you get paid commission as a stylist but are expected to be a manager, you will actually LOSE money because you will not be able to service your clients as much as you used to. Being a manager/stylist would pull you away from where you make your money( from your clients) . That's the problem I had with it.





~~


Also, a huge misconception. We get a commission off your service. The stylist did not receive the whole $35. She probably got at most 50% of that, minus taxes minus healthcare minus any 401k offered.. oh yeah... and if she didn't have anyone else in her book that day...THAT WAS ALL SHE MADE.


Take it from me...I'm seriously pissed off at Oprah and Suzie Orman right now for telling people to stop getting haircuts because now I'm sitting around all day not making a dime. (now I'm actually thinking about going into nursing!)


~~ok- I think I'll stop replying now~~ lol

No comments:

Post a Comment