Saturday, January 23, 2010

Should I stay working as a hair stylist or take the position as salon manager?

I have been a stylist for 4 years and still have days when I am not as busy as I would like to be. In the 4 years since I have received my Master in Cosmetology I have taken 18 months off to have my son who is now three years old, moved three times and once to a different side of town and have worked at 3 different salons. While I am the lead stylist at my salon ( and the most busy/requested), I still have days like today where I did not have one client. All day!





I wonder if this is the start of a steady decline of the hair styling industry (anything that is not a necessity) and just a glimpse of what to expect between a new election and the stock market, etc.





My question to you is should I stay working 40 hours a week, making commission (45% of 0 = 0 - gas money) doing something I truly love and am good at? Or should I look into the management job that has become available at the salon?





The management job will demand my full attention and will pay a guaranteed salary. It will also mean that I am the one who has to pick up all the slack if people dont show up or call out, it may also mean that I spend allot more time at work and will definitely bring work home with me. Remember I am a mother and wife, if I dont cook my family starves kind of thing.





As a stylist is is crucial to your business that you stay in one place for a long period of time so people know where to find you and as a stylist you can build your business thru word of mouth referrals. I currently am able to go to work, clock in and color and cut hair all day clock out and go home. That is a great day except like today when I clocked in for 9 hours and did not have once client. This is the first day in a long time that this has happened (the no client all day thing).





I have a family and we have our own home to take care of. I do have previous management experience. I have been with my current company for one year and the management position is with the same company in a neighboring city, twenty minutes away.





Currently, I charge $55 for a women's cut and style and $30 for men's cut and style. My partial foil price starts at $85. I live in Atlanta, GA. My current salary varies based upon commission between $16,000 and $20,000/yr. As a manager I would look at a base salary of $40,000/yr with the opportunity to earn bonuses based on department performance.





I would love to hear any/all thoughts as it is really weighing on my mind. I'd like to hear esp. from people who are changing the way they spend their money to see if their hair is an area they are cutting back on.





Also I would like to know from other managers in the small business arena what you like most about your job and what you like least. Are you having trouble staffing qualified, top notch people? Are your employees happy? Tell me something to help me see the whole picture. Is the money worth it??? Thanks in advance.








Should I stay working as a hair stylist or take the position as salon manager?
You could stay and cut hair forever. That is the best choice. Managers get fired all the time and for very little reason..Should I stay working as a hair stylist or take the position as salon manager?
Looks like you've given serious thought to a tough decision and if my opinion is worth anything, I wouldn't step in to management. I managed a salon and worked full-time behind the chair and believe me, you can't do it all in 40 hrs a week.





Something will have to give and with you being a dedicated mother and wife, you and your family will end up paying the price.





Have you considered doing anything else related to the cosmetology industry besides hair? My hair stylist owns a salon and services clients and it's all she can do to get out of there at the end of the day to spend time with her 10 yr. old son and husband.





She recently hurt her shoulder and now can't even do hair. Thank goodness she started supplementing her income with a business I introduced her to last year. She sells primarily to her clients and their referrals but also does business outside the salon.





The tool we market is called a ';little wrinkle iron'; and can make you look years younger in just 10 minutes. No hype. It's been featured on major networks and I can send you more info if you're open-minded to taking a closer look.





While most industries are feeling the pain of our economy, our company has just had it's 12th straight month of record growth and that means bigger checks for us:) It's truly a ';recession proof'; business and could be the right fit for you or maybe not. If you want to hear more, let me know and I'll be glad to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment