Friday, January 22, 2010

Should we be forced to leave tips? Think about how much a massuese, stylist, nail salon etc makes per hour?

I have been having this conversation with a few people I work with. I am pretty good on tipping I must say, but a girl I work with told me she doesn't feel she should have to tip when their clearly making more money then us. She happens to be married to a wealthy family, and at first I disagreed with her but then I got to thinking about something once my own stylist complained that her clients don't tip well enough and some not at all. She has black/white clients and stated that the blacks ones don't know how to tip, and she's black but the chick I work with is white. After hearing her say this, it sort of irritated me because people are having hard times and although I tip very well, i I sometimes won't even get my nails done, or my hair if I'm low on cash and can't afford a tip. I'm just looking for thoughts, this is not meant to offend anyone but seriously I want to hear thoughts on this. Before digging into this I always felt like I HAD tip and not just average, at the least 20% percent but I realize I'm staying in the dog house while others are moving up. My husband thinks if they chose the profession that is their job but has decided waiters/waitresses definitely deserve a tip.


I'm a nurse who helps people on a daily basis, I don't get shyt for it.Should we be forced to leave tips? Think about how much a massuese, stylist, nail salon etc makes per hour?
people choose to work in a job where they need to be subsidised by tips. i rarely tip at all. 50% of the time in restaurants, but not in a place like pizza hut or anything. if i've had a really great time, service was awesome and the waiter/waitress was friendly, well spoken etc, then that's where i tip. only in restaurants though. nowhere else.Should we be forced to leave tips? Think about how much a massuese, stylist, nail salon etc makes per hour?
You posted this in the marriage and divorce category.
Count:waitresses get like $2.30 an hour, so you tipping 50% of the time is a big middle finger.





Not tipping is rude in MHO
Nurses do hard work, yes.


However, tipping them would be an ethical violation because it might be a way for a patient to get their hands on drugs they aren't supposed to have. It might also allow the patient to get triaged to a higher level then they are supposed to - if in the ER, a rich person slips the charge nurse a $100, patient X gets bumped to the head of the line even though their issue is not critical. Or in an outpatient setting, patient Z slips the scheduler a $50 in exchange for getting appointment times that aren't available to the general public. This is why tipping in the medical setting would be dangerous.
TBBY I TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH YOU. You and your friend chose what profession you worked in, and tipping should not be expected no matter what. If you are a hair dresser and have two clients a day maybe you aren't that good at your job. However the only profession I believe needs to be tipped are waiters because this is well deserving most of the time and they don't make much. Everyone else can kiss my *** because I too work as a nail tech and don't feel like I should be tipped, but what I do feel is that if you loved the service I certainly will accept or enjoy your tip. To tell someone to stay home until they can afford services including tip was absolutely stupid. Times are hard and people are low on cash and sometimes want a little enjoyment. I don't hate your friend that has a little change, why should I be jealous because she or her family chose to make more money in life, and did just that. WAKE UP PEOPLE
From the service sector, on behalf of all my friends who are wait staff and massage therapists, You all need to be tipping. There is no universe where wait staff and other service people ';make more money than us'; unless the ';us'; is other service people or other people on minimum wage.





Did you know that waiters don't even make minimum wage at most restaurants? they make about $3-4 and hour because the boss tell them they will make the rest up in tips. So yes, tip them! Also, the often have to split the tips with the busboys and the hostess so they don't even get to keep all of the tip they gave you.





As for massage therapists and people who work in salons, they have to rent their space out from whoever owns the shop. So if they only have one or two appointments a day, that may only cover their overhead and not even begin to pay their rent. Plus a lot of owners take a cut straight off the top. For example, my best friend is a certified massage therapist who has worked in doctor's offices and salons, and she has never ever taken home the full amount that the business charges for her service. The worst place took 60% of the fee per massage and only gave her the remaining 40% that they had charged the customer. Plus she had to rent the room. And this was at an upscale salon in a major city. Those tips are what she lives on.





Just because you don't have a lot of money, is not a good enough reason not to tip. If you can't afford a service, including the tip, then you really need to wait to get the service until you can. These people deserve a lot more respect than they get.





And to your co-worker I say, ';Gee, it must be nice to be rich and not have to think about how the 'little people' have to get by';.
If you think about, we are not generally ';forced'; to do anything ... it's what we tell ourselves about other people's influence towards us.


I used to date a wealthy lawyer who never, ever tipped. I don't tip either. I know some salons have their debit machines 'set' to ask for a yes/no tip ... I boldly press no.


Alot of times, we see our parents or close friends doing this and tell ourselves to do it. Or businesses boldly ask us to tip %26amp; we feel embarrassed so say yes.


You said it all ... nobody tips you %26amp; they likely wouldn't if you asked, stating you make enough already. Think the same way. I do %26amp; until someone tips me, I'm not changing ... can use that money to pay bills or buy groceries, if anyone asks why I don't tip. They don't argue with me.


Cheers!
Well a nurse makes very good money. We shouldn't have to tip the nurse!! And they get benifits. Salons, waitresses and such don't get bennies! A beautician will understand if you tell them you can't afford to tip her. I believe its 12 percent now.





I only tip when I'm happy with what they do to my hair and believe me, it's NOT much, cause I can't find a decent salon! :-(
My husband tips his barber like one or two dollars that is it. Hell when a haircut costs twenty bucks and my hair costs sixty five dollars who needs a darn tip. I tip waiters and waitresses because they primarily make only about two bucks an hour and live off of tips. It is up to the person if they wanna tip or not. Your friend is wealthy and stuck up and if she is rich then who is ';us';. Only thing she knows that is broken would be a nail.
I am against tipping for the most part unless it is at a sit down restaurant, or the spa. I always tip 10% and that is all. My thoughts are that if people want to make more money, then they should go back to school and further their education.





Beggars complain they don't get given enough money, and I think anyone who whines about not getting enough tips should be called a beggar, because that's what they're stooping to.





Tipping is getting rediculous these days. Just the other day I was getting grocceries and saw the cashier had a ';tip'; jar at her counter. That is rediculous and greedy. Same with coffee shops that have tip jars, it's rediculous. They have a no brain job that pays the right wage to do such brainless work. To ask for tips is just plain greedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment