Monday, January 18, 2010

For Salon Stylists, How much do you make?

Not to be all up in y'alls business, but how much do you get paid? We get 50% commission where I work in Texas. I have been there about 5 months and I work with 2 other stylists. I am just now starting to get returning clients. On a Saturday (our busiest day) I make anywhere from $100-250 in service sales. (That's 50-75 bucks commission, plus anywhere from 15-40 dollars in tips) What are y'alls numbers, and why do you think you make so much, or not enough?For Salon Stylists, How much do you make?
I booth rent, so I get what I bring in, minus the ';tap fees';. (I have to pay for the color/perms I use.)





If you've been out of school for 5 months or are fairly new, I'd say your take is probably average. It takes a good year sometimes two to build up a clientel. When you get to the point where you are booked 2-3 weeks ahead, then it's time to up your prices. (Supply and demand!)





I could always make more money and hope my numbers continue to go up. I average $150 a day, but I only work 3 days a week. Of that I take out my rent and tap fees and sales tax. I live in a small town of about 6000 people. Most of the time I'm booked about 2-3 weeks ahead, during busy times it can be 4 weeks. I'd love to charge more, but since we live in a small town I'm nervous about going any higher. We already are probably the upper end in our town, but I know I don't make anywhere near what I could if I lived in a bigger city. But, for part time work, I can't beat my income. There is no way I can go out and get a job doing something else and make what I make now in the area I live in. Been doing hair 22 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment